Wednesday, December 5, 2007

It's like an exit interview, er post...

I loved Black English, so there to everyone that didn't enjoy it! This class was awesome because it gave form and structured organization (something I need a lot of) to a lot of the things that I was thinking about. I feel like I have started a head on campaign to learn everything about Black English (hah!) and the Deaf culture. Everyone shapes themselves around language because it's how we throw ourselves out there. It's unpleasant to sit down and think critically about it because when we do, we aren't always happy with what we find.

I judge people by the way they speak. I always have and I was aware of that before I started this class. Now, after maybe listening to myself and how I use language, I realize that not only do I judge, but I change myself to "suit" the person based on my assumption of them. I could go on and on (I can be very verbose sometimes, really!) about all of the things that I thought were awesome and new, but that seems like it's the most important thing I'm walking away from this class with.

:) Short and sweet tonight.
B.Knee

No comments: