Thursday, December 6, 2007

Everything?

It's hard to talk about everything I've learned this semester, but i can say that i have learned just how powerful language can be. The first day of class I didn't think to much of language. (it's just something you do.) But as we've gone through the semester I've realized how powerful language can be. It tells us who we are, and even how we act. Language creates reality. I've noticed how language is used outside of the classroom, and i often times catch myself trying to see what is taken for granted in that setting. I've noticed that every group I associate with has a different way of speaking. It truly is amazing!
I'm glad we talked about Ebonics and other language varieties. I used to think that these varieties were just bad grammar, but now i think "hey they make a lot of sense, and who am I to say that they are wrong."

No comments: