Sunday, December 9, 2007

Exit Music

So I had this thing all semester long, where I would tell myself that when I went to this class, I would just hang out in the back, taking it easy and not participate in the discussion. That never happened. I couldn't even do it once. I suppose that's a good measure of how engaging this class was for me.

As an aspiring writer, I was already aware of the power of language. This class taught me about the language of power. I remain skeptical of some of the larger theoretical underpinnings of Critical Discourse Analysis. I maintain that the formulation "social construction of reality" in practice boils down to the "social construction of society", a tautology, but nevertheless the class helped me to understand what a significant role language plays in this. My mind was definitely opened up on the subjects of language correctness and the relativity of language.

I often wished that we had spent more time on some of the theoretical aspects of lingustics, but at the same time my girlfriend was taking a linguistics class at the U (she was an English major before switching to political science, so we have some of the same interests), and complained all the time about how boring it was.

I want to thank you Tiffany, for pushing us to engage with each other every class, despite our sluggish resistance.

As for everyone else:

We'll meet again,
Don't know where,
Don't know when,
But I know we'll meet again
Some sunny day . . .

No comments: