Sunday, December 9, 2007

Exit Post

This class had some concepts that were challenging, as well as ideology I was not aware of until I took the course. There were indeed elements of the course that I liked as well as disliked. The readings I felt were almost irrelevant, as they were too difficult for me to get through most of the time that I rarely saw the point in time to analyze the ideas against what I read. The discussions we had I felt I could have participated in just as well without the corresponding readings. Written work is important for language analysis and some were good, but the selection overall should be edited.

The blog was easy for me at first, but I feel like I was just saying the same thing everytime I posted. Did I read what Tiffany wrote and respond? Or should I have given feedback on someone elses post? I realize that we were supposed to do both toward the end but honestly, between my other homework and the reading assignments we already had for the class, I was not about to spend time reading through what everyone wrote for something that excited a reaction out of me.

What I did like about the class were the discussions we had, where everyone gave an opinion and backed it up (or not in some cases) as well as Tiffany's lectures. I really enjoyed the lectures, as the course made the most sense with her writing on the board and us applying the concepts to real situations as a class. Discourse is not the easiest thing to understand. It was a stretch for my mind to make the connections involved in language use and talking about the philosophies of it in class was intriguing. There is a lot to be discovered when we open our minds and look at something from another angle. While I cannot say I cared much for Spanglish or black english (those really belong in a sociology class), I enjoyed exploring the effects of linguistics and discourse on our society.

No comments: